That being said, I will shout from the rooftops for anyone to hear:
NOTHING IS MORE DAMAGING TO A CITY THAN A GOVERNMENT THAT LACKS THE CHECKS AND BALANCES PROVIDED BY A STRONG TWO (or more) PARTY SYSTEM.
Don't believe me? Take a look at the most historically corrupt and/or mismanaged municipalities in the United States and find a common thread:
- Washington, DC
- New Orleans
Think about it - if almost everyone in city government comes from the same party from which they were elected; who is there to oppose any activity that is not in the best interest of the people? I believe everyone is innocent until proven guilty, but then again...there's only so much patronage that can occur before you can assume guilt by association. For example:
- Can we view Mayor Nutter as a reformer when he was a councilman from the same party as the Street brothers?
- Can we trust DA Seth Williams to be tough on public corruption when he was appointed by John Street as Inspector General during the same time that the Mayor and his executive staff were under FBI investigation (and indictment)?
- How can we assume that Barbra Deeley, who served as a Chief Deputy in a small, 230 member Sheriff's office NOT have known about the misappropriation of $53 Million (and $30K in campaign funds), and
- How could Sheriff Green, who oversees municipal warrants, the sale and seizure of property for delinquent taxes NOT have known about the blatant tax evasion of Councilman Milton Street and the refusal to collect upwards of $1 Billion in bail revenue at the Clerk of Quarter Sessions?
Will the republicans do anything to change this? Apparently not. Why? Apparently those in control of local republican party is under the impression that there needs to be party-level patronage here in Philadelphia.
As seen in today's article: Philly GOP has no candidate to endorse for Mayor Old-time party bosses Vito Canuso and Mike Meehan (relation to Sheriff Aus Meehan) apparently feel it's better to stay out of the race then to endorse any candidates to oppose the people who've been fleecing our city for over thirty years...because they apparently failed to "kiss their ring".
If nobody is telling them this...let me:
After years of getting away with it, our current leadership is being caught with:
- Massive theft and/or budget misappropriation scandals at the Sheriff and Clerk of Quarter Sessions,
- A GIGANTIC budget deficit, and
- The DROP program scandal
WHAT'S KEEPING YOU????
Our city needs checks and balances. If the opposing party is too weak, lazy, or mismanaged to step up, who will represent us?